Utilizing the Nitreg® Potential-Controlled Gas Nitriding technology Peters’ Heat Treating provides a modern approach to nitriding capable of meeting the metallurgical requirements of all nitriding specifications. Many of our customers have chosen Nitreg® as a replacement for carburizing, ion nitriding or salt bath nitriding, enjoying the invaluable benefits of no distortion and the elimination of costly finish grinding.
The qualified work zone is below 132” x 60”.
Nitriding is a highly specialized surface hardening treatment that produces a thin but high hardness case on a wide variety of steels. The significant advantage of nitriding over other surface hardening processes is that the case hardness is developed without quenching and subsequent distortion issues. Finishing operations can be eliminated or minimized.
Our ONC has been substituted for black oxide by some customers.
The salt spray resilience is impressive, parts treated with the Nitreg® + ONC processes can easily pass well over 200 hours of salt-spray test per ASTM B117 before a corrosion spot appears.
To check out more on this study, click this link: Manitowoc Study
Nitride surfaces are extremely worn resistant providing good lubricity with anti-galling properties. Nitriding also produces extended fatigue life and improves corrosion resistance. Other advantages include resistance to softening by temperatures up to the processing temperature (approximately 950℉-1025℉).
We can do light case, deep case, FNC / ONC, white layer pretty much tailored to their requirements.
- 66” diameter x 138” deep up to 20,000 lb. maximum capacity
Processing Benefits Include:
Enhanced Surface Finish: Nitriding produces a greater surface finish quality.
High Endurance Limit: The endurance limit is notably high, especially under bending stresses and at elevated temperatures.
Superior Hardness: Nitriding forms a hard surface layer with high hardness levels, particularly effective at elevated temperatures.
Improved Wear Resistance: Nitriding enhances resistance to wear, friction, and surface fatigue, making it ideal for abrasive or erosive environments.
Boosted Fatigue Strength: Nitriding reduces surface microcracks, resulting in improved resistance to cyclic loading and fatigue failure.
Retained Core Properties: The process primarily affects surface properties, preserving the core’s original strength, toughness, and ductility.
Enhanced Corrosion Resistance: Nitriding improves corrosion resistance, especially against surface pitting and corrosion.
Minimal Dimensional Changes: Nitriding is a low-temperature process, ensuring minimal dimensional changes or distortion, suitable for precision components.
Cost-Effective: Nitriding is cost-effective, with shorter processing times and lower energy consumption.
Crack Prevention: Nitriding prevents the formation of cracks, a significant advantage.
Clean and Carbon-Free: Nitriding is a clean, carbon-free process.
Time Efficiency: The process requires less time.
Controlled Case Depth and Surface Hardness: Nitriding allows control over case depth and surface hardness.
Controlled Compound Layer: It provides control over the formation of the compound layer.
No Distortion: Nitriding results in minimal or no distortion.
Metallurgical Lab: On-site metallurgical labs are available for evaluation and certification of work.
- Molding equipment
- Oil & gas
- Tool & die
Did You Know?
- Our nitriding furnaces do not just do nitriding? They can also do stress relieving, nitrogen tempering (fairly bright), blackening, corrosion resistance, nitrocarburizing.
- Peters’ can do your entire project, from normalizing, to hardening, to stress relieving, to gas nitriding.
- Certified to AMS2750
- Capable of processing to AMS2757 (Gaseous Nitrocarburizing)
- Capable of processing to AMS2759/6 (Gas Nitriding of Low-Alloy Steel Parts)
- Capable of processing to AMS2759/12 (Automated Gaseous Nitrocarburizing Controlled by Potentials)
- Capable of processing to AMS2759/3 (Heat Treatment Precipitation-Hardening Corrosion-Resistant, Maraging, and Secondary Hardening Steel Parts)
- Capable of processing to AMS2759/11 (Stress Relief of Steel Parts)
- Process compliant with John Deere JDV – HT26
- CQI-9 Compliant: Complies with CQI-9 standards for quality management
Quality Assurance and Clientele:
- In-House Lab: Equipped with facilities for case depth verification and metallurgical analysis. This lab is Nadcap compliant.
- Provides processing services for many crane companies.